Sunday, March 15, 2009

NYC Travel Day 1



I am rapidly forgetting about our NYC trip last summer, so I"m going to write what's left in my sad little brain.

Deb asked me in Spring 2008, "How about coming up to see me in NJ?" And I thought, "Great, why the hell would we want to go to NJ for vacation?" As if reading my mind, she commented "Did I mention that we are 1 hour out of NYC and the beaches, and I can write off your gas as a business expense." Needless to say, we were in.

We left on the 4th of July and drove up to our wonderful friend Brian's house, where we spent the afternoon walking across the purple people bridge in Newport and visiting a mostly abandoned (due to rain) 4th of July festival. There was an awesome racing car blow up maze for the kids, which unfortunately at the end, due to the seal to keep the house inflated, it looked like the bounce house was giving birth to the kids one at a time as they squeezed out the seal. Anyway, it was muddy and filthy and the kids had a blast. They even got to wade across a fountain before the guards came and told us to cut it out. You know you're having a good time when you are told to get out!! As we were walking back across the bridge, it started to POUR with rain and we all got very wet. Came home, dried off, ate dinner and set off several fireworks right at dusk. The kids loved the spinners and the racing cars, but were unnerved by the folks across the street who were blowing up entire phone books with M80's. Made me jump every time and what a storm of yellow pages! We walked up the street to the local park to watch fireworks, a really great small town feel without the kitch. It was so nice to hang out with Brian, since we really don't get enough time with him ever. The next day, it was an all day haul to NJ.

No comments: